Monday, March 29, 2010

Coming around

Well I was anticipating that I would have a tougher time recovering from this round of chemo and radiation, and boy was I right. The side effects of radiation really took their toll on me and continue to do so. My throat is extremely sore all the time. It's starting to get better now. I've had trouble eating due to this, and my weight is down to my high school weight. As my throat has improved I've been able to eat more and hope that I can get my weight up over the next week. My blood work showed that I have a low platelet count and white blood cell count, so I have to be careful to not get sick. The other side effect of the radiation is that I've been coughing up phlegm nearly non-stop. I look at that as my body getting rid of cancer cells, and that helps me get through it. My back pain is constant, but the vicodin helps with that. It's now muscular, not from the bones, so hopefully as I get more active and move around more it may subside.

Enough of the bad stuff. My mom's visit was good, we watched a bunch of movies (thanks Liz) and spent time playing with Nicholas. Dad comes out next week, right before the next round of chemo. Tim has been in touch with Dana Farber and has made some progress in getting me in with a team there. This is good news as they have some of the best cancer doctors in the world.

That's it for now. Thanks for all your support.

9 comments:

  1. You are an inspiration! I will keep you and your family in my prayers, wishing you the best of recovery.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Sending you lots of xoxoxoxoxoxoxo

    ReplyDelete
  3. Andy,

    U wud not know me, I work with Tim and he's told me all abt u. I pray for u and trust me, u will be fine. Keep up the good work with facing up your chanllenges with hope. Wishing u best.

    Ranjith.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Andy, you rock! Keep up the good fight. I have run every cancer run I can find. My next one is for ovarian cancer (luckily that's one you won't have to deal with)

    ReplyDelete
  5. Now you can rock those vintage clothes you've keep around since high school ; )

    Keep fighting on!!

    Dan & Sarah

    ReplyDelete
  6. Keep fighting and stay strong!!I'm still searching for the awesomest most comfy hat for you!!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Looking like the old Andy from high school, eh? I know that Andy! :) Hang in there friend. Glad you had a good visit with your Mom. Send me your address when you get a chance. I have some pics to send your way that I think will make you laugh!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Wow, Andy! Radiation is always tough, but as you say you are moving ahead and healing. I am so happy it is out of your bones and wish them moving out of your muscles! Don't worry about the weight loss; everyone could stand to drop some lbs and it should give you some energy!

    Amy
    @waldingerz
    waldinger.net

    ReplyDelete
  9. Keep up the fight! I'll keep the positive energy flowing your way.

    ReplyDelete