Wednesday, February 9, 2011

Andy's Arrangements

Hi All,

It's still surreal, been a blur of a month, a long year and it's still hard to believe. While we knew that this vicious disease would take his body someday we all hoped that it would be later. He fought valiantly and gave us extra time, time for great memories and to speak, to love and to feel all this together.

Jen and I spent today making the arrangements with the funeral home, while Dad and Mom kept sanity at the family home, and kept Nicholas occupied. Mom drafted the obituary that will run tomorrow. Dad coordinated with family on coming to Boston.

Andy's visiting hours will be this Friday 11 February from 5 - 8 PM at McCarthy & Sons Funeral Home in Framingham, on Lincoln Street. On Saturday we will hold a service at noon at the funeral home and then gather to remember Andy and toast his life. All are welcome to attend.

I've appended the obituary that will run tomorrow in the Boston Globe and Middlesex News.

Thank you to everyone who has reached out to us on Facebook, through emails, texts and calls. We are overwhelmed with the love that you have all shown for Andy and our family.

Many have asked about donations, about how to help. We're going to work on setting up a charitable organization to help Nicholas and seed cancer research organizations. I'll send more information when we figure out how to do this.

Tim

*************************************************************

Andrew R. “Andy” Swan, 35 years old, of Framingham, died Tuesday, February 8, 2011 at Brigham and Women’s Hospital, Boston, surrounded by family, after a courageous year-long battle with lung cancer. Andy was the husband of Jennifer M. (Meyer) Swan.

Born in Framingham, son of Robert S. and Irene T. (Wenten) Swan, he grew up in Framingham. Andy was a graduate of Framingham High School Class of 1993 and graduated with honors from The Pennsylvania State University with a Bachelor of Arts degree in Film and Video. After college, Andy followed his dream to write, direct, and make movies, culminating in several Independent Film Festival awards. He was an avid Boston sports fan, an outstanding lacrosse player at Penn State, and loved to ride his Harley Davidson motorcycle.

In addition to his wife and parents, Andy leaves behind his four-year old son, Nicholas A. Swan, of Framingham, his beloved brother Timothy S. Swan of Somerville, and Tim’s fiancĂ©e, Ann Jacques of Derry, NH.

A Funeral Service will take place on Saturday, February 12, 2011 at 12:00 noon at Eugene J. McCarthy and Sons Funeral Home, 11 Lincoln St., Framingham. Relatives and friends are kindly invited to attend. Calling hours at the funeral home will be on Friday, February 11, 2011 from 5:00-8:00 p.m. In lieu of flowers, contributions may be made in Andy’s memory to Dana Farber Cancer Institute, Thoracic Oncology Department, 44 Binney St., Boston, MA 02115.

3 comments:

  1. OH my.... my prayers are with your family.... may he rest in peace..

    ReplyDelete
  2. Dear Tim,
    I have been following your blog and Andy's Facebook since last year. I cried when I saw the obituary in the paper. He was a great kid as my paper boy and I always remember him coming off the bus and walking home...as my kids were little then I always had my nose poked out the window. I am so very sorry for your loss and please give my best to your family.
    I feel I must reach out after losing my own son 8 years ago.
    Heaven has gained another angel *-(...for reason unknown to us...
    Rest in Peace Andy - you will not be forgotton.

    Hugs,
    Sandi (your former neighbor) Richiazzi-Natoli

    ReplyDelete
  3. Tim if you need help setting something up let me know, this is something I have experience in and a lot of great contacts.

    Lee

    ReplyDelete